Re: [PARPORT] Scanners using parallel ports

Philip Blundell (pb@nexus.co.uk)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:19:46 +0100

>I think (ignoring any legal issues) that is quite painful. What I think should
>be possible is to use 1 PC running windoze which is attached by parallel port
>to another computer where the messages on the parallel port are monitored
>and stored. Then this message can be sent to the scanner so that the
>response can also be monitored and stored.

This is an idea that comes up here quite often. In theory it could be done
but there are various obstacles and I don't think anybody has implemented it.
You would probably be better off hiring a logic analyser for a couple of days.

>It seems that parport is aimed mostly at printers, but do you know of others
>using it for other types of devices ?

There isn't really anything printer specific in the parport code. It is also
used for external storage devices (Zip, SyQuest etc), pocket ethernet
adapters, digital cameras, PLIP links and teletext receivers to give a few
examples.

p.