Re: [PARPORT] Printer works in 2.0.36 but no in 2.2.x

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 2 May 1999 19:47:38 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 May 1999, Mirek Kwasniak wrote:

> I dont know 'out of paper' are real messages because server is in another
> bulding. Users reported problems via phone.

If it prints at all, I imagine that the messages are real. But what do
you mean by 'lockup'? It just stops printing, or stops entirely dead?
You talk about restarting lpd, so I imagine just printing is frozen.

In that case, it might be that the printer isn't out of paper or off-line
at all, and lp is fooled into thinking it is. If that's what's happening,
patch-2.2.7-tmw2 should help.

<URL:http://www.cyberelk.demon.co.uk/parport/patch-2.2.7-tmw2.gz>
<URL:ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/parport/path-2.2.7-tmw2.gz>

This patch is against clean 2.2.7. Please try it out and let me know if
it helps. You don't need FIFO/DMA support, and you only need IEEE 1284
support if you were using printer status readback with 2.2.

Changes since 2.2.7-tmw1:

 o Fix termination from EPP mode.
 o lp: ignore PError and Select if nFault is asserted.
 o parport_pc: better debugging for SPP failures.
 o parport_pc: set ECR mode to PS2 at start.