[PARPORT] Direct port access for Dosemu/Wine through a parport device

Uwe Bonnes (bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de)
Tue, 4 May 1999 12:17:51 +0200 (MEST)

Hallo,

some programs to run in Dosemu/Wine require a so called "Dongle",
plugged into the parallel port, to authenticate. Without further
measures, this requires to run Dosemu/Wine SUID root to succeed in the
direct port access, something most people don't feel eager. I once
had hacked the old lp driver to implement IO-Controls to give
Read/Write Access to the appropriate registers, so Dosemu/Wine only
needed access to /dev/lpx. In- and Out commands to the ports where
translated into the appropriate IO-Controls.

Is there something like that implemented in parport? I scanned the
code, but didn't find something appropriate. If not, where is the
right place to implement something like that?

In general, the manufactures of these dongles claim their hardware to
be transparent, that means a device connected to the other end of the
dongle should still work like before. This means, that no normal
read/write cycles to the parallel port are performed.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt