Re: [PARPORT] zipdrive again

The Eye (Michael.Hellwig@uibk.ac.at)
Tue, 4 May 1999 09:49:03 +0200

ummm, adding to what I wrote yesterday I have a more detailed report now
of what's going on on my computer, and how the ZIP actually refuses to
work.

first: it worked on the same computer with 2.0.35 with no problems, and it
works with *eeek* W95

so...
following stuff is in the kernel statically: parport
as modules: parport_pc, parport_probe, scsi_mod, sd_mod, ppa, imm, lp

now what I did was the following: I disabled lpd for the startup process,
so lp won't get loaded. Then I rebootet my computer to look into
system-manager in W95, to look up the resources for my parallel-port...

then I rebooted.

then: modprobe parport_pc io=0x378,0x778 irq=auto,auto
modprobe parport_probe

then I looked into /proc/parport. There was 2 directories there, one "0",
and one "1". Fine untill here. I checked the files in there.
file autoprobe says in both cases "unknown device, unknown vendor".
file hardware says at 0: SPP,EPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2 and at 1: SPP,EPP
in both cases irq: none.
btw, those ports don't show up in /proc/ioports

then I loaded sd_mod and scsi_mod.
there weren't any errors.

as far as that I did everything like it says in the documentation.

then: modprobe imm
the error is: init_module: Device or Resource busy
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.5/scsi/imm.o failed
insmod imm failed

kernel messages say: imm: Version 2:03 (for Linux 2.0.0)
scsi: 0 hosts

when I try ppa, it gives me some more errors, including
ppa:parport reports no device

any help would be highly appreciated.

-------------------------------------

           You wanna get high as the sky,
           you're kissing your life goodbye!
           You think it's a game that you play,
           but the winners lose it all some day!
                            - Ice-T

and I hope Bill Gates will also lose it all one day!
C ya
Michael Hellwig, aka The Eye

michael.hellwig@uibk.ac.at or
eye@forfree.at