Re: [PARPORT] HP COLORADO 8GBe questions

Ian Soboroff (ian@cs.umbc.edu)
13 May 1999 12:00:16 -0400

grant@torque.net writes:

> > I have HP COLORADO 8GBe I a using paride/epat/pt modules for this drive.
> > my questions are:
>
> > 2. I want to use dump for backups can someone give me a good command line.
> > (I know the basics tape length and block size is my main questions)
>
> Best block size is 16K. The pt driver should report the tape capacity
> whenever the device is opened. (Check dmesg.)

In Documentation/paride.txt (2.2.6), it says:

        2.5 Using the pt driver

        The pt driver for parallel port ATAPI tape drives is a minimal
        driver. It does not yet support many of the standard tape
        ioctl operations. For best performance, a block size of 32KB
        should be used. You will probably want to set the parallel
        port delay to 0, if you can.

However, I have had problems with the system getting wedged checking
cpio archives with -only-verify-crc and a block size of 32KB. Is 16K
the new "best" block size?
ian

--
----