Re: [PARPORT] Possible Bug in lp-module (Kernel 2.2.8) (fwd)

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 16 May 1999 19:23:50 +0100 (GMT)

> after I did an upgrade from kernel 2.2.7 to 2.2.8 I have been unable
> to print via the parallel-port. The data were sent to the interface
> via lpd in the wright way, but there was no printout (after a few
> seconds the printing queue was empty. Thus it seems, the interface
> accepted in some way the data).

Michael, what type of printer do you have? This sounds like the printer
has some kind of error condition (out of paper?) and isn't telling us.

The change in 2.2.8 was to use only the nFault line for determining if an
error condition exists, and only examining if the printer is off-line or
out of paper if nFault says something's up.

Some people have printers that are 'sloppy' with the off-line and
out-of-paper signals when there is no error, and so they could not print
prior to 2.2.8.

Have you ever used a 2.0.x kernel with this printer?