Re: [PARPORT] Possible Bug in lp-module (Kernel 2.2.8) (fwd)

Michael Gebauer (Michael.Gebauer@TalkNet.de)
Tue, 18 May 1999 22:03:33 +0200 (MEST)

Hallo Tim,

with your great help I have found that failure. The moment I do not know
whether it is a bug or a feature of the kernel. Your advice to have a look at
the dmesg output has been the important one (it has been my fault not to look
at this before) :-)

This has been my configuration in /etc/conf.modules:
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x3bc,0x378 irq=none,none
                            ^^^^^
                            That's the valid iobase of lp0

dmesg of kernel 2.2.7
-------------------------------------
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
-------------------------------------

The kernel found that only the iobase 0x378 did make sense

dmesg of kernel 2.2.9
-------------------------------------
0x3bc: CTR: wrote 0x0c, read 0xff
0x3bc: DATA: wrote 0xaa, read 0xff
parport0: PC-style at 0x3bc [SPP,PS2]
parport1: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp1: using parport1 (polling).

The wrong iobase is detected as a valid interface and used as lp0. This caused
the problems in printing :-(

Now I have changed the option-line to:
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=none,none

The kernel finds only the valid iobase and printing works without any problems
in the *original* kernel 2.2.9

Thank's a lot for your help. You and the rest of the kernel-team do a great job!

regards
Michael