Re: [PARPORT] KingByte 9520 SCSI help

grant@torque.net
Wed, 19 May 1999 18:25:53 -0400 (EDT)

> problem: to add some modules to this laptop, which is running a 2.0.33
> Linux kernel, I need to get a CD running off the parallel port.
>
> The hardware I have to work with is a KingByte parallel-SCSI adapter based
> on KingByte's 9520 chip.

Does the chip also say "KBIC-951A" ? Most KingByte chips that I have
seen have markings like

                        KINGBYTE
                       KBIC-951A
                          9647

The middle line is the part number, the last line is the lot.

If so, this adapter is supported by the PARIDE suite which has been
in the standard kernels for the last 18 months or so. Alas, 2.0.33 is
rather older than that. There is an ancient version of PARIDE that
might work, but you would have to compile the code. I gather that
you have no access to another Linux computer.

Is there a specific reason why you elected to install such an old
version of Linux ?

It _is_ possible to install from KingByte based CD-ROMs - although the
only distribution that has it all together is the one from SuSE.
Slackware works, but you need to get a replacement boot disk from their
ftp site. RedHat 5.2 can be installed with a replacement boot disk
from my ftp area. RedHat 6.0 will be getting a PARIDE-capable boot disk,
but RedHat doesn't have it ready yet.