Re: [PARPORT] Pb with ppa? Iomega? parport?

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:49:25 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Alain Serpette wrote:

> What is absolutely necessary to configure in this menu in order to
> efficiently use the parport and ppa modules?
>
> For the moment, I have answered
>
> Y to the parallel port
> Y to PC_Style option
> M to parport_probe (that in fact I don't use for now)
> M to the parallel printer port
> M to ppa(older drives)
> N to imm

That's fine.

> N to ppa(16bits)

You could try Y here.

> in /proc/parport, I've the directory 0 ;

That means that you have a parallel port, and that the 'parport' code
knows about it.

> In this directory I've devices which
> is ppa,

This means that ppa has registered itself with parport.

> lp is allright.

That means that port accesses work, at least to some extent.

The fact that 2.0.36 works for you with the same hardware indicates that
it's either a parport bug or a ppa bug. There is a known problem with
ppa: if your BIOS is set to ECP+EPP, it may not work. You could try
fiddling with the BIOS setting for the parallel port.