Re: [PARPORT] [HELP] Can't set EPP mode...

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 20 May 1999 16:54:51 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Bradshaw Chris wrote:

> 1. Would anybody know if there is a way to explicitly set EPP mode on
> the parallel port of a Compaq Deskpro 6300?

'EPP mode' means different things depending on the context. There is the
wire protocol, and there is the chipset mode. The latter can be set with
a BIOS option usually, and all it means is that the port hardware has
special registers for dealing with EPP, the wire protocol.

> 2. If (as the technical docs suggest) EPP mode is only set after a
> successful negotiation phase, then why would I need to explicitly set
> EPP mode on the paralell port?

This negotiation phase is something that happens on the wires. The
computer says what mode it wants to talk to the peripheral in, and the
peripheral agrees to or not.