[PARPORT] mount 7200e and using cdrecord

Chi Kit Lee (chilee@Synopsys.COM)
Fri, 21 May 1999 11:09:07 -0700

Hi,

Would someone please help? I hope this is the right place to ask. I am
starting to learn about Linux and have some simple questions. First of
all, I have just installed RH6.0 (i.e kernel 2.2.5-15) in a Dell XPS P200n.
In the BIOS, the parallel port is set to P/S. And I have an
external parallel port version of HP CD-Write Plus (7200e). I think I
got all the necessary modules (parport, paride, epat, pcd, pg) for the
kernel installed and running as the log below indicates. I tried to
read the documents (i.e man pages for cdrecord, etc.), but I have to
admit I don't quite understand a lot of the information there.

Anyway, I want to do the following simple things.

1. I want to use my drive (with CD R/W media) to back up my data. What
commands (using cdrecord) do I need to use to copy a file
databackup.tar.gz from my harddisk to my CD R/W? And would I be able to
add more files to this CD R/W later? What command should I use, as I
don't want to over write what I have on the CD R/W disk already?

2. After I save the file to the CD R/W, how do I mount the drive so
that I can read the data back to my hard disk?

By the way, I was able mount a CD-R for reading purposes using

mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt

But for some reason, I haven't been able to find the appropriate
commands to mount the CD R/W disks for reading.

If I am missing other relevant information or if any of the information
is not quite clear, please let me know. Thank you very much!

-- Chi Lee

[[root@lion /root]# dmesg
[... other stuffs deleted]
paride: version 1.04 installed
paride: epat registered as protocol 0
pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
parport0: no ID data returned by device.
pcd0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
pcd0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 2 (8-bit), delay 1
pcd0: Slave: CD-Writer+ 7200
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
pg0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 2 (8-bit), delay 1
pg0: HP CD-Writer+ 7200, slave
[[root@lion /root]# /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
scsibus0:
    0) 'HP ' 'CD-Writer+ 7200 ' '3.01' Removable CD-ROM
    1) *
    2) *
    3) *
    4) *
    5) *
    6) *
    7) *
[[root@lion /root]# /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord -dev=0,0 -inq
Cdrecord release 1.6.1 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0