Re: [PARPORT] Syquest and printer [and Zip disk, to]

David Campbell (campbell@gear.torque.net)
Sun, 23 May 1999 10:39:20 +0800

Date sent: Sat, 22 May 1999 09:00:32 +0100 (GMT)
From: Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk>

> The reason you see output from ppa normally is that the ppa driver doesn't
> specify a logging level for its messages, so they get the default. It
> also so happens that the console gets messages that are the default
> logging level.
>
> It's something I've been meaning to try and change, actually. I think
> those messages should have KERN_INFO level. Those of us who run a printer
> console will save some paper... ;-)

Alright, I get the hint Tim, next Saturday I promise to go through
the driver and change the message level. Also I will try and push
through the last stage of parport through the driver (ppa and imm
still use hardware direct access rather than the parport function
hooks).

There is definitely something wrong with the pass-through restore
section of the driver but it seems to be somewhat specific to
hardware (eg: if using this hardware in this mode, expect problems).
I have an ASUS board at home so I should be able to reproduce the
problem. I hardly ever use the lp driver for my trusty HP-DJ500 since
there is a nice laser on the network.

David Campbell