[PARPORT] H45 QuickDrive, 2.3.3-tmw1 and other ramblings ...

Erik Inge Bolso (knan@mo.himolde.no)
Thu, 27 May 1999 14:38:34 +0200 (CEST)

<DE-LURK>

A few issues with your patch, Tim... I tried it yesterday.

1. Without applying 2.3.3ac3 as well, the paride modules are unusable.
(Some typos and such in stock 2.3.3)
2. The ppuser module is still trying to use older functions that seem to
have been removed in your patch :-)

Congratulations, the lessening of load while transferring is considerable
from 2.3.0 to 2.3.3ac3+tmw1 ... I can actually listen to mp3's with mpg123
and ALSA now without pops and stuttering :-)

Other miscellaneous questions: (bear with me here, I've none too much
knowledge about parallel port communications)
 - Why is IRQ's not used in the PARIDE modules at all? Would it a) not
gain anything (in speed and/or lessening of load while transferring) or b)
noone has cared enough to implement it?

Is there anyone else on this list who has a H45 QuickDrive? This parallel
port device uses a Shuttle EPAT chip to implement an IDE interface. What I
want to know is if anyone has tried using a standard IDE cable internally
and used two harddrives in master-slave config inside it? Does it work?

Incidentally, the QuickDrive does not work very well when the parallel
port is in ECP or ECP+EPP mode. (A pity - using that 16 byte FIFO would
probably be nice). When using ECP+EPP with DMA, it panics and falls back
on 8bit transfers. When using ECP+EPP without DMA, mounting returns "bad
geometry" on the external ide drive. (strange)

So I set the port to EPP mode in the BIOS, and get transfer speeds of
about 600 kB/s max. The manual states that under ideal conditions 1.2 MB/s
is attainable, so I wonder how :-)

<LURK>

--
Erik I. Bolsų <knan at mo.himolde.no>