Re: [PARPORT] LP does not load parport_pc

Andy Tomlin (atomlin@flash.net)
Fri, 28 May 1999 07:24:01 -0700

Tim Waugh wrote:
> What happens if you leave the options off, i.e. 'insmod parport_pc'? What
> does 'dmesg | tail' say after that?
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]

Note I have to do an insmod parport first before I can insmod parport
which
surprised me as I thought it was supposed to be autoloaded.

The problem is what gets autoloaded when I try and print
Case 1: No option on parport_pc in conf.modules
When I print something no modules get autoloaded

Case 2: io and irq options in conf.modules
parport autoloads
lp autoloads with dmesg error message 'lp: driver loaded but no devices
found'
parport_pc does not load
nothing prints

Case 3: manual insmod with or without options
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod lp
Printer prints and works ok