Re: [PARPORT] Re: ZIP-Drive and Printer problem

Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Sun, 30 May 1999 00:39:20 +0100

>My board is the Asus P5A Super 7 board. The AGP and IDE controllers are
>ALi, not sure about the I/O controller. The manual doesn't specify.
>There *is* a little Winbond chip there, right below the cache near the
>serial/parallel ports. According to the BIOS and the manual, there *is*
>no SPP mode available. EPP, ECP, and ECP+EPP are all that are
>available.

The ALi 1543 southbridge provides parallel and serial ports itself, and I'd be
surprised if the motherboard designer chose not to use them. The chip itself
supports a plain ol' SPP mode though the BIOS may feel that it ought to put
it into a more advanced mode as a matter of course (since, in theory at
least, it shouldn't do any harm).

If you want I can look up the runes you need to cast to constrain the port to
SPP only.

p.