Re: [PARPORT] DEC Alpha troubles again (2.2.5, SyQuest ezflyer)

Jonathan Sturges (jonathan@sprintmail.com)
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 08:48:08 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <grant@torque.net>
To: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@sprintmail.com>
Cc: Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk>; <grant@torque.net>;
<linux-parport@torque.net>
Sent: Sunday, June 20, 1999 8:24 AM
Subject: Re: [PARPORT] DEC Alpha troubles again (2.2.5, SyQuest ezflyer)

> > BTW, I have the vendor ID and device codes for the Intek21 card, since
the
> > Multia's firmware will give you these for every PCI device in the
system.
> > Would that be useful somehow?
>
> I'm sure Tim would like that data ...

For the Intek21 parallel card, it reports:
Vendor: 14db
Device: 2120
revision: 0

This is a single-port parallel card that appears to be OEM'ed from SIIG, so
I bet that that's SIIG's vendor code.

> > I bought the Intek21 card before I figured out that the Intek21/SIIG
cards
> > seem to be proprietary.
>
> It seems that my information is out of date - the SIIG cards are ECP
ports.

> You'll need to get the card to behave like an EPP port before loading the
> PARIDE drivers.
>
> By the way, I have a Tiger Direct catalogue. They list the Lava card as
part
> number L64-1000 for USD $39.99.

Hmmm, the Intek21 box says it can do SPP, BPP, ECP or EPP modes, but of
course that's under Windoze. :-) It's too bad they don't have NT/Alpha
drivers for this card. I might be able to get away with booting NT,
initializing the card to my liking, soft-reseting and booting Linux. A
time-honored trick that still works well! :)

So is it possible to apply the parport patches from your ftp site to my
2.2.5 kernel sources? Or am I dreaming? :)
Maybe it's just best to get the Lava card, which doesn't require anything
funky to initialize itself, right?

thanks,
Jonathan