Re: [PARPORT] Setting up a second parallel port

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:16:22 +0100 (GMT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Dries van Oosten wrote:

> > It won't appear in /proc/ioports until it's used. Look in /proc/parport,
> > or type 'dmesg'.
>
> Ok, so thats one mystery cleared up. But it doesn't solve my problem.
> Let me explain what I do. I look in windows what io range the card uses.
> Then I reboot in linux.
> I insmod parport and insmod parport_pc io=what-I-found-in-windows irq=none
> then I run the following code as root:

To mess with the data port directly with outb, you don't need to load
parport first. You can leave parport out altogether.

But parport_pc will do some analysis of the port to tell you what kind of
port it thinks is there. When you insmod parport_pc with those
parameters, do you get any interesting log messages (try 'dmesg')? A line
with [SPP] in would be quite promising, for instance.

> I have an array of leds connected to the data pins of the parallel port
> and with a 1k resistor in series to the ground pin.
> Nothing happens. In a desperate attempt I also tried it with the onboard
> port and nothing happened as well.

I don't know why that doesn't work. What is the actual I/O address that
Windows reports?