Re: [PARPORT] Setting up a second parallel port

CMN (echarter@mineletter.com)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:00:35

At 11:49 AM 21/06/99 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]
io_ranges and

> It won't appear in /proc/ioports until it's used. Look in /proc/parport,
>> or type 'dmesg'.
>
>Ok, so thats one mystery cleared up. But it doesn't solve my problem.
>Let me explain what I do. I look in windows what io range the card uses.
>
>ioperm(what-i-found-in-windows,8,1);
>outb(1,what-i-found-in-windows);
>sleep(1);
>outb(0,what-i-found-in-windows);
>ioperm(what-i-found-in-windows,8,0);
>
>I have an array of leds connected to the data pins of the parallel port
>and with a 1k resistor in series to the ground pin.
>Nothing happens. In a desperate attempt I also tried it with the onboard
>port and nothing happened as well.

# this is just a guess from another parallel port card (Lava) that would not
operate at its found address.

# some parallel port cards and/or their attached devices will not run at the
high address range that windows assigns to them. (+6000) You may have to
assign the card, by whatever means, range 0278 or 0378 and your onboard
parallel port the other address. Then go into CMOS and assign the onboard
port its address, if needed ( if changed). Now that is a windows fix, not
Linux..
so it may not be a panacea.

EC<:-}
Box 324, Postal Stn "P", 704 Spadina Ave, Toronto On. M5S-2S8
             416-597-6726 FAX 416-597-6710