Re: [PARPORT] MicroSolutions backpack cd-rewriter

grant@torque.net
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:44:47 -0400 (EDT)

[Troy - in case you actually get this, most of your mail is bouncing back,
to the point where I've cancelled your subscription to the parport mailing
list.]

> I have a parallel port MicroSolutions Backpack CD-RW 4x2x8 drive
> which has a model number of 190127. Looking in the kernel source,
> it appears that only the Backpack CDROM (read-only) drives are
> supported, at least in terms of CD drives. I have also read the
> Linux paride doco among other Linux-Parallel port HOWTOs, but I
> can't seem to get the drive to register.

The recent backpack CD-RW drives use a different protocol from the rest
of the backpack family.

As you may be aware, MicroSolutions is unwilling to support the development
of open-source drivers for their products. The existing drivers have
been developed entirely by reverse engineering the protocols from traces
of the DOS drivers in operation. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell,
the newest adapter is not supported by any DOS driver, so I would not
be able to reverse engineer the protocol, even if I were to get my hands
on a drive.

So, it would seem that this drive will NOT be supported by Linux.

But, just in case, does the software that comes with your drive include
a DOS driver - even if only for the CD-ROM functions ?