Re: [PARPORT] Printer pass-through on Zips

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:51:18 -0500

Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
>
> > Currently, I have to "echo mode=1" to the appropriate /proc/* file,
> > and unplug/plug back in my Zip drive, before the printer will receive
> > the print job.
>
> Do you _have_ to unplug/plug in the Zip drive after setting mode=1? Even
> if 'echo mode=1' is the first thing you do after modprobe ppa?

Yes, every time I want to print after having accessed the Zip drive, I
have to turn it off and then back on.

Currently everything is compiled into the kernel. I've tried it both as
modules and as I have it now, however, and have noticed no difference.
Regardless of whether or not it's loaded as modules or statically
compiled, and irrespective of when I "echo mode=1", I still have to turn
off the zip and turn it back on. I actually went ahead and stuck that
echo in my rc.local script. Here's what /proc/*/*/hardware looks like,
if it helps any, after the echo:

me2v:reliant me2v$ cat /proc/parport/0/hardware
base: 0x378
irq: none
dma: none
modes: SPP,PS2,EPP