Re: [PARPORT] "Device busy"

grant@torque.net
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 07:22:09 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm having troubles with device-busy messages . . .

I wish the developers of modutils would do something about that message.
It means only that the driver being loaded was unsuccessful at
initialising itself. It's a single bit status - so the apparently
specific message from insmod is just silly.

> Moreover, I just acquired an HP
> 7500 CD-Writer and I'm running into the same difficulty.

I've already sent you some pointers to known problems with the 7500.

> Paride and epat insmod just fine.

support libraries.

> Another, possibly related, problem is that even when pg was insmod'ing
> ok, cdrecord couldn't seem to talk to it. I knew that it was an
> HP 7500; it
> could identify it ok, but it always said that it was "not
> responding" and
> suggested that I power-cycle it. Of course, power-cycling it didn't
> help.

Check out the CDB problem with 7500.

> % insmod pg verbose=on

verbose takes a number :-) No clue what insmod does with "on" in that
case.

> [> [bts@babble bts]$ dmesg
> Memory: sized by int13 088h
> Console: 16 point font, 400 scans

Please try to trim the dmesg stuff down to just the relevant messages.
(But yes, I know that relevance isn't always obvious.)

> pg: pg version 1.02s, major 97

> pg0: epat: port 0x378, mode 0, ccr 0, test=(255,255,510)
> pg0: epat: port 0x378, mode 1, ccr 40, test=(255,255,510)

It appears that there might be an epat at 0x378, but it seems to be
unhappy. My guess is that a previous failed operation has left the
drive in a peculiar state.

I also notice that your parallel port is set to either SPP or ECP mode.
Try setting it to EPP mode if you can. It is also possible that the
port itself is in an odd state. You may need to power cycle the computer
as well.

When that happens sometimes you must not only power off the drive,
but also disconnect it from the parallel port. There's enough power
on the port to keep the EPAT alive.