Re: [PARPORT] "Device busy"

Brian T. Schellenberger (bts@babble.on.home)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 01:06:21 -0400

>> > pg: pg version 1.02s, major 97
>>
>> > pg0: epat: port 0x378, mode 0, ccr 0, test=(255,255,510)
>> > pg0: epat: port 0x378, mode 1, ccr 40, test=(255,255,510)
>>
>> It appears that there might be an epat at 0x378, but it seems to be
>> unhappy. My guess is that a previous failed operation has left the
>> drive in a peculiar state.
>
> The only prior thing I'd done with it was to try to insmod pg once
> before and have it fail, but next time I will be sure to set verbose
> 2 before I do anything else.

Ok, I did this: Powered off (unplugged the CD-Writer) both devices and
disconnected the cable to boot, and turned them back on (I happened to
turn on tthe 7500 first and the computer, if that makes any difference.)

Tried insmod with verbose=2 first thing. Still get exactly those
messages.

Hmmm . . . maybe I should try it in single-user mode just in case a
started script is doing something . . . but I doubt it. I verified that
lp
was not loaded and the lp queue was empty, and no printer was attached.

>> I also notice that your parallel port is set to either SPP or ECP
>> mode.
>> Try setting it to EPP mode if you can. It is also possible that the
>>
>> port itself is in an odd state. You may need to power cycle the
>> computer

I forgot to ask . . . what tells you that it's in SPP/ECP mode?

Thanks again!

--
Brian T. Schellenberger, "Brian, the man from babble-on"
babbleon@bigfoot.com

Things can't be too bad in a world with swing music, can they?