Re: [PARPORT] Making some progress (RE: "Device busy")

Brian T. Schellenberger (bts@babble.on.home)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 00:03:08 -0400

Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:

> Ok, I have made some progress. I can get away from the "device busy"
> (general probe failure, really) messages if I turn *OFF* EPP mode.
> Either ECP or SPP or "non-extended" mode seems to work for probing
> the device. Using non-extended mode I can successfully burn small
> disks. Yipeeeee!!!!!
>
> But, unsurprisingly, I'm getting trouble with buffer under-runs on
> full
> disks. With a 16M buffer running in single-user mode (with a dumy
> write),
> though, I do get about 293M before I underflow, so I'm not that far
> from
> being able to burn a "real" disk.
>
> I can't do more than 16M of buffer because I only have 32M of physical
>
> RAM. I can't just mkisofs into a hard-disk partition and then "cat"
> it
> into cdrecord becuase I don't have enough free space, and the CDW is
> supposed to be my backup solution to allow me to repartition my drive
> so
> I could have room for creating a partition for making the CDs . . . .
> sort
> of a chicken-and-egg problem.
>
> I read the discussion on multi-session CDs in the "cdrecord" info, and
> it
> seems that in order for that to work you must be able to access both
> the
> mountable CD and the writeable CD simultaneously, but I can't insmod
> both pg and pcd at the same time, so that doesn't seem possible. Am I
>
> misunderstnading this? Is it possible to write multisession CDs with
> PARIDE?
>
> Finally, the most obvious thing to try to extend this is to set the
> port delay
> to 0, but I can't even seem to get such a simple thing to work. Here
> is
> the command and the relavent dmesg output when I use the defaults:

Ok, I found mail in the archive that explained what I wanted here
better,
so I got this to work with

insmod pg drive0=0x378,0,0,1,-1,0

but it seems to be slower than with the delay of 1! Moreover, it still
seems to be lots slower even when I default it like I was doing before.
So I'm really lost.

Any ideas / help hints?

I have a P-166, BTW.