Re: [PARPORT] Tape backup with mt & tar

J. Scott Berg (jsberg@earthlink.net)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:22:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Art Wildman wrote:

> I could always go out and buy an expensive SCSI Tape Drive and
> PCMCIA contoller, but that would cost more than my laptop, and
> wouldn't be any fun.

Well, unless your laptop is a lot cheaper than mine, it's not nearly
that bad. $500 for a low-end SCSI tape drive and $115 for the
controller card, and that gets you easily twice the transfer rate of
the $280 parallel port drive. Not cheap, but doesn't necessarily
break the bank. If I knew then what I knew now (and if SCSI drives
were as cheap then as they are now), I may have gone that way.

> 2) Just a thought from leftfield - Does the "ftape" loadable kernel
> module use the same conventions for writing EOFs? - the drive
> hardware is similar although the interface is different. Perhaps you
> could borrow something from the ftape sources. Hope this helps

I'd prefer to get something working consistently with the ATAPI and
SCSI drivers (and if I'm right about those drivers being inconsistent
between themselves, get them behaving consistently). They in fact use
pretty much the same command set that the parallel port drive does.
Actually, my first guess about how they were behaving seems to be
wrong, but they nonetheless behave differently...

                                -Scott Berg

--
J. Scott Berg                      jsberg@earthlink.net
3025 E. Amy Ln.                    (812) 339-8368