Re: [PARPORT] Printer doesn't work ...

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:24:05 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:

> What's strange is that my BIOS doesn't offer an SPP mode, yet here I am
> evidently making talk in SPP mode. Not sure how that works.

It doesn't offer a non-enhanced (or -extended) mode; but the
enhanced/extended modes are compatible with SPP, or so the theory goes.
ECP has an extended control port, which has to be told to go to
SPP-compatible mode, but the parport code takes care of that. With EPP it
should just work, i.e. the SPP registers are the same.

> Another thing, which may or may not be related. I've been advised in
> the past to do something like "echo mode=1 > /proc/parport/0/hardware".

That file is not writable, in the same way that /proc/sys/kernel/version
is not writable. [Yet. ;-)]

> nothing changes. I also try echoing to /proc/scsi/ppa/2 various values,
> 1,2,3,4,5, but while they change the Mode, it doesn't seem to affect
> anything, either with my hack or with the original. Is that right?

It sounds like it should make a difference. But I haven't looked at the
code closely.