Re: [PARPORT] onstream tapestreamer

grant@torque.net
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 10:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

> I am just re-sending this message since I did not get a reaction yet.
> Possibly no-one knows, but in case somebody just missed it, I am reposting
> my question.
>
> I just bought an OnStream (tapestreamer). Are there already drivers for
> this machine to use under Linux? In case not, does anybody know they are
> in the make and possibly even when a beta-version of it can be expected?

I'm sorry to take so long responding to this ... There are two separate
issues in supporting the OnStream DP-30.

The DP-30 uses a newer and currently unsupported version of the Shuttle
EPAT chip. I have documentation for this device, but it is not at the
top of my work queue.

The OnStream, Sony and Aiwa drives use a command set which is not
compatible with any current Linux drivers. In short, media defect
management must be done in software. Several of us have OnStream's
specification, and a prototype user-mode driver does exist. When I
get a bit of time I plan to get this working with the 'pg' driver.

(And yes, I do have a DP-30).