Re: [PARPORT] Binary Kernel Module now available from MicroSolutions for Backpack Drives

Harondel J. Sibble (help@pdscc.com)
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:13:56 -0700

WhooHoo!!!

Very cool, is source available? or will it be made available? How much
testing has been done with it and under what versions of linux? I plan to use
it under Mandrake 6.0, 6.1, Redhat 5.2, 6.0 and Openlinux 2.3.

Also is there any easy way to add it to a boot diskette for use in installing
linux on a laptop, or cd challenged desktop.

Last question, anychance we will see support for the 2.0.xx kernels? I am
running 2.0.38 on my laptop at present due to its lack of resources:
486dx4-75, 16mb

TIA and Thank you!

On 28 Oct 99, at 16:56, Ken Hahn wrote:

> Micro-Solutions is now providing a binary Kernel Module for the BACKPACK
> series of Drives.
> It is located at http://www.micro-solutions.com/software_library/index.html
> under the heading of "Utilities and Misc."
>
> This is the same core code that is used on the Windows BACKPACK driver, with a
> wrapper around it to make it work as a protocol module under the Linux PARIDE
> subsystem. It is written in optimized assembler, and it supports both the
> Series 5 and Series 6 drives.
>
> There are 2 modules provided for different kernel versions (2.2.5-15 and
> 2.2.12-20).

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
help@pdscc.com (pgp enabled) http://www.pdscc.com
(604) 739-3709 (voice/fax) (604) 686-2253 (pager)