Re: [PARPORT] Programming Parallel ports Question

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:22:09 +0000 (GMT)

> While programming any I/O ports on the system in C, you would use the
> inportb() and outportb() functions in order to access them directly. To do

In DOS yes.

> Linux, I would like to know the header file used and the corresponding
> functions. Again, if anyone knows, I'd like to have a way to program any
> given I/O ports on the system with Linux.

Well firstly the kernel will stop you, as random users going poking in I/O space
is a bad thing. Secondly you may not even be running on a CPU with equivalent
instructions.

If you absolutely have to go poking around from userspace , read man ioperm and
include/asm/io.h. But generally you don't want to