[PARPORT] looking for ppdev advice

Carl Michal (michal@physics.ubc.ca)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:29:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm contemplating building a device to interface through a parallel port.
I noticed traffic on the list about the ppdev user-space port driver, and
I'm wondering if someone can tell me how appropriate it will be for my
needs.

I'm a novice at parallel ports - my knowledge so far is about that in
Craig Peacock's interfacing the pc.

I'd like to be able to do EPP data and address read/writes and be informed
when interrupts happen. I browsed through the ppdev source and it looks
like all of that is in there.

My device will be fairly 'dumb' - just glue logic and such, and I am
wondering if when I use ppdev to set up the port, will data that I don't
explicitly write to the port be sent out to my device?

Can I set up the port to use an epp mode with a device with no brain - it
will handshake the wait line on every strobe.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Carl