Re: [PARPORT] Re: Shuttle EPST driver...

systemic@mciworld.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:05:41 -0800

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 10:22:34AM +0000, Tim Waugh so eloquently wrote:
> > When I go to "insmod ppscsi" I have success. When I do a "insmod epst"
> > I get the following:
> >
> > <snip>----------
> > epst.1: epst 0.91 (0.91), Shuttle EPST at 0x378 mode 2 (PS/2) dly 1 nice
> > 0 sg 16scsi1 : epst
> > scsi : 2 hosts.
> > <snip»----------
>
> This is a problem with the SCSI layer in 2.3 -- I just saw a patch posted
> to linux-scsi. Hopefully the fix will find its way into 2.3.35 or 2.3.36.
> Hmm..

That'd be nice.

> > Any ideas what this could mean? It looks like I'm getting my devices
> > recognized at bootup (somewhat... I don't have the ppscsi stuff compiled
> > into the kernel, rather as modules). As evidence I offer the following
> > output from dmesg:
> >
> > <snip>------------
> > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
> > parport0: Found 4 daisy-chained devices
>
> Huh? I gather you don't really have four daisy-chained devices plus
> another on the end? Especially if they're all printers.. ;-)
>
> What exactly do you have plugged into the port?

I have an HP 5100c Scanner and a LaserJet 1100 (chained to the scanner).
That's it.

> > parport0 (addr 0): Legacy device
>
> Eek. That might be a bug actually. There's obviously no way that an IEEE
> 1284.3 compliant device isn't IEEE 1284.3 compliant, which I think is that
> that's trying to say.

Hmmm. I'm going to mess around with this stuff and see what happens.
I've tried not compiling printer support into the kernel (rather,
with my printer not working. The scanner doesn't work that way either.

<sigh>