Re: [PARPORT] HP5100C anyone?

Audin Malmin (amalmin@halcyon.com)
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:05:48 -0800

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 06:41:02PM -0200, Bruno Barberi Gnecco wrote:
> Has anyone been able to use a HP5100C scanner?
> I patched my kernel (after a little hack, because I'm using 2.2.13 and
> the last file was not patched), recompiled it and the modules, installed the
> modules. Following the ppSCSI page, I insmoded these modules: scsi_mod, sg,
> ppscsi and epst. The last one take a while to load, but do not output anything

        Look in dmesg. There should be something like:

ppSCSI 0.91 (0.91) installed
epst.1: epst 0.91 (0.91), Shuttle EPST at 0x378 mode 5 (EPP-32) dly 1 nice 0 sg 16
scsi1 : epst
scsi : 2 hosts.
  Vendor: HP Model: C7190A Rev: 3846
  Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi generic sgb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

        And when it loads up your scanner should probably make a few noises.

        I find that epst will not load if lp is loaded previously. If I
try I get this in dmesg instead:

ppSCSI 0.91 (0.91) installed
scsi : 1 host.

        and modprobe errors with:

/lib/modules/2.2.13/scsi/epst.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

        So try loading epst first... You don't actually need lp at all
if you just want to use the scanner, it is only used to print.

> (in fact, none of them do), but, as it is only loaded if the scanner is
> connected, it seems that the problem is not here..

        The last line of the dmesg output should tell you which scsi
generic device to point sane at.

> As 5100C is connected in the parallel port, I tried scanimage -d
> hp:/dev/lp0; then scanimage just freezes, and must be kill -9ed. xscanimage
> also freezes.

        lp devices are basically output only. SANE is looking for a generic
scsi interface, a completely different animal.

> What may be the problem? lp module is always loaded, and if I try a
> rmmod lp it seems to be automatically loaded when I run scanimage, and now
> used by (autoclean).

        This would happen if you point sane at /dev/lp0.

--
                                            Audin Malmin - amalmin@halcyon.com