[PARPORT] Re: Please tell me how to make my printer work in Red Hat 6.1 - FIXED!

ohm (ohm@bellsouth.net)
Sun, 02 Jan 2000 18:42:56 -0500

Well, I guess I am a dummy. I spelled parport as "paraport" and that of
course did not help me at all. <grin>

I got my Epson Stylus Color 800 printer to work in Red Hat Linux 6.1 and
here is how to do it:

Upgrade your lpr to 0.46-1, here is a link:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.1/i386/lpr-0.46-1.i386.rpm
or user your Gnome RPM Webfind (use "lpr" as a search string) to get the
update or your Red Hate Update Agent if it still works.

You will need to add a few lines to your /etc/conf.modules file to make
this work. The reason is that most PC's today have a plug n play bios and
that really seems to mess up Linux in detecting all of the hardware. You
see a message like IORESCHECK - FAILED, cannot access device already
opened. That is the PC's PnP BIOS putting a stop to your Kudzu finding all
of the hardware.

So we have to tell the system that we do indeed have a parallel port and
where to find it. I added these three lines to my /etc/conf.modules file:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
post-install parport /sbin/modprobe parport_pc

...and that did the trick! Found my printer right away now. You would have
to edit the values in the options line if you run a parallel printer on
anything other than the stadard PC parallel port as these are the default
values.

Thanks to all that have emailed me back and offered to help.

Good luck to you all and a very Happy New Year 2,000!

Sincerely,
Paul Baio
ohm@bellsouth.net