Re: [PARPORT] generic parport support ...

Jan-Benedict Glaw (jbglaw@lug-owl.de)
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:29:11 +0100

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 01:58:47PM +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, chris mess wrote:
>
> > I found a (binary only) software for bsd and linux that seems to work
> > but it doesn't find any carts, same with the DOS app using wine.
>
> Sounds like a bug in that software then -- it will just be using inb/outb
> I expect (or else using /dev/port). There's a chance that running strace
> on it will reveal more information, but otherwise I guess you're stuck.
> Do you have any special settings for your port in the CMOS?

/dev/port is _very_ danegrous to use, especially if you have older hardware
installed in your System. Once upon a time I hat a SCSI host adaptor
(Always IN2000) which works fine so far... But after accessing the parport's
DATA port through /dev/port, fsck found uncleanly unmounted partitions...
Looking at the kernel's implementation for /dev/port, I saw that _all_ ports
up to that one you may have askey for get read. I even saw other systems
simply crashing by this. ...but unfortunately, you can't seek within a
character device with any other method than reading everythink up to the
requested position;(

MfG, JBG

--
Fehler eingestehen, Größe zeigen: Nehmt die Rechtschreibreform zurück!!!
keyID=0x8399E1BB fingerprint=250D 3BCF 7127 0D8C A444 A961 1DBD 5E75 8399 E1BB