[PARPORT] Sharing a parallel port

Jeffrey J. Jenkins (jjenkins@dolphin.upenn.edu)
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:35:59 -0500 (EST)

I am running RH6.1 (2.2.12). I am trying to configure a HP Laserjet 5P
and Microtek Scanmaker V310 to share the same parallel port. I used
patch-2.2.13-ppSCSI-19990712 to get OnSpec support for the Microtek's
parallel/SCSI interface. The kernel itself is completely stock, I simply
rebuild the modules and installed the ppSCSI modules into the directories
manually.

The printer was functioning before installing the sg, ppscsi, and onspec
modules as the (limited) instructions seemed to indicate I was supposed to
do. (What does sg do?)

The scanner is functioning now (with SANE). However, the printer is no
longer responding. Running lpq, I see "waiting for lp to become ready
(offline ?)" before the normal job list.

I don't know much about the parallel/scsi interface and didn't see
anything in the archive or various help files that I've found online about
parallel devices under Linux. From what I understand the parport mod
should allow sharing of a parallel port. This was already loaded when I
checked with lsmod. Could parport_probe (which is also loaded) be causing
the problem?

Any thoughts or configuration help would be appreciated.

---
Jeffrey J. Jenkins          --  (c) copyright 2000
jjenkins@dolphin.upenn.edu  --  http://baudelaire.princeton.edu/jeffj
"The truth is always the strongest argument." -Sophocles