Re: [PARPORT] Prob: parport0: FIFO is stuck, timed out

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 21:59:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Norbert Preining wrote:

> parport0: No more nibble data (0 bytes)
> parport0: faking semi-colon

These messages are harmless by the way -- they just mean that the printer
doesn't implement IEEE 1284 very strictly.

> DMA write timed out
> parport0: FIFO is stuck

The 'FIFO is stuck' message is also harmless really. I don't think it
should make a difference to the printing speed. This is the same as the
'Timed out' message (see later). All it means is that the printer is
still busy after some amount of time (5 seconds, by default).

You could try recompiling parport.o with a different value for timeout
(linux/drivers/parport/share.c:354) -- 10 * HZ, for instance. Does that
make things better?

I'm planning on adding an ioctl to lp to change that timeout value, or
else getting it set higher to start with for lp.

> Thanks for any hints/tips/improvements.

I think the only configuration you missed out was non-ECP IRQ-driven.