[PARPORT] [Parport] HP Colorado 14GBe and BRU

Lee Mondshein (leemondshein@yahoo.com)
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:43:48 -0800 (PST)

   As a newbie, I want to say thanks, Grant, for your
software, documentation,mailing list --- and
everything on your website. With all this help, I was
able to install the appropriate modules to communicate
with my parallel-port HP Colorado 14 GBe tape drive.
  I followed instructions,basically:
#insmod parport
#insmod paride
#insmod epat
#insmod pt

Operation via tar seems to work fine.
My question: I would prefer to use bru (commercial
software) rather than tar. However, bru recommends
communicating with my IDE/ ATAPI drive via the
drivers associated with device nodes ht0 and nht0. As
a first try, I followed the above module insertion
scheme, subsituting *insmod ht* for *insmod pt*.
   The result:
" insmod: ht: no module by that name"
   I am running RedHat 6.1 , kernel 2.2.12-20 (on a
Toshiba Satellite 4100 XDVD), together with Oracle
8.1.5 and would like the convenience associated with
bru backups. I have begun educating myself about the
design of device drivers, but have not found any
information about the availability of "ht" as a module
or as built-in driver.
   Am I making things unnecessarily complicated? Has
anyone had success using bru with IDE/ATAPI tapes?
  Thanks,
   Lee