Re: [PARPORT] User space daisy chaining

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 10:31:15 EDT

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Derek Bouius wrote:

    > I am developing a parallel port peripheral that supports the 1284.3
    > daisy chaining standard. I thought I could use the user space driver
    > (ppdev) to do some quick development, but I don't seem to be able to
    > select the dasiy chained device I want to talk to on the parport0. (Ie
    > there is no IOCTL call from ppdev to do "parport_daisy_select"). Am I
    > not getting something or is there a way to select the daisy device you
    > want? I could write a kernel module but I would rather just have user
    > space communication for now.

    Ppdev doesn't export this functionality I'm afraid. You could always do
    the selection yourself -- it's just a couple of writes to the data port
    AFAIR.

    I once toyed with the idea of having /dev/parport0daisy0 etc, but quickly
    decided it was quite icky. The original idea was to encode the daisy
    chain address in the device minor (the top two bits or
    something). *shiver*