Re: [PARPORT] ECP read - FIFO/DMA

From: Richard Stover (richard@ucolick.org)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 20:20:05 EDT

    Hi Derek,

    I have tried the parallel port on my motherboard (from ASUS) and a
    separate
    ISA parallel port card. Both give about 1 byte per 2 microseconds
    (500 Kbyte/sec) transfer rate using DMA in ECP mode. This is much slower
    than
    the top ECP rate of about 1 byte per 0.5 microseconds. I assume the
    actual rate is limited by the ISA bus, but I'm not sure.

    For the highest rates that our camera will produce I need 1 megabyte/sec
    continuous transfer, so we are now looking at a PCI bus solution. We
    tried a SIIG
    Cyberparallel I/O PCI card but it seems it doesn't even support DMA
    or interrupts. The company was also completely non-responsive to
    my inquiries.

    We are now designing our own PCI interface. If money is no object you
    might check out the products from a company called EDT.

    I don't know that much about ppdev or the standard linux driver.
    I wrote my own to provide double-buffered input for continuous
    high throughput, some specialized handshaking for our camera, and the
    ability for a user-level program to process the data as it is
    coming in via DMA.

    You might be able to tell if the driver has allocated a DMA channel
    by looking at /proc/dma.

    Regards,
    Richard

    --