Re: [PARPORT] Parallel port for printing

From: Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 13:11:36 EDT

    On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:10:50PM +0200, Guillaume Muller wrote:

    > 1) Is there any hope of improving the situation by just re-configuring
    > correctly the device (or another one), using the same code ?

    Possibly; look at tunelp.

    > Is the situation different with the a kernel 2.3?

    The 2.3.x kernels use DMA (or PIO) to take advantage of ECP hardware,
    if available and configured (you need to turn the config options on
    when building the kernel, and you need to supply a parameter like
    'parport=auto').

    > 2) If there is no hope, then could someone give me a starting point? Should
    > I look at the "lp" code?

    You could certainly look to see if the software implementation can be
    speeded up. Take a look in linux/drivers/char/lp.c (for 2.2 kernels)
    or linux/drivers/parport/ieee1284_ops.c (for 2.3 kernels).

    > I'm also wondering why there is so few people complaining about their
    > printer beeing slow under linux.

    Because the speed is also a function of the printer-side
    implementation, I guess. For the printers I use, for instance, I
    don't see any speed problems at all (but I'm not saying that they're
    not there).