Re: [PARPORT] Patch: 2.3.99pre8-lp.c Report Printer Status

From: Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 16:17:40 EDT

    On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 09:13:14PM +0200, Gunther Mayer wrote:

    > Probably other printer always raise "printer-error", this would
    > explain why other people don't see this problem. Tim?

    Yes.

    > > LP_CAREFUL is still needed, I'm afraid. See Andrea's latest megapatch
    > > for 2.2.
    >
    > But in 2.3.99 LP_NO_ERROR is not even used !?
    > (ftp://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.2/2.2.15aa2/lp-careful-1)

    That's right, because I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Feel
    free to beat me to it.

    > P.S. Can anybody explain how printers could appear to accept data
    > when turned off (as man tunelp says) ? I consider this impossible
    > since there is a handshake when transfering data. Any knowledge here
    > ?

    Look in the source for something like 'assume the printer received
    it'. I know that at one stage I changed this to actually look for the
    printer's end of the handshake, but AFAIR it was far too slow so I
    took it out (but maybe I'm misremembering that part).