[PARPORT] Re: Troubleshooting a very simple setup

From: Steinar Bang (sb@metis.no)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 11:56:57 EDT

    > On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 05:07:10PM +0200, Steinar Bang wrote:

    >> Is there a way of finding the builtin parport manually? Or will I
    >> need to dig up the specs on the PC and finding them there?

    I did that. I found the System Reference manual for the Digital 5510:
            http://www4.support.compaq.com/documentation/pcdoc/pdf/5510sref.pdf

    In appendix B-1 on pages 166 and 167, they have an I/O memory map.
    The strange thing is that they list three LPT address spaces, while as
    far as I can tell there is only a single physical parport:
            LPT2 0x278 0x27A
            LPT1 0x378 0x37A
            LPT3 0x3BC 0x3BE

    I tried all of these and both for CTR and DATA he reads back 0xff,
    which I guess means that there is nothing there?

    >> Is the BIOS a place to look?

    > Yes.

    I guess I'll have to reboot then. A pity... that machine has been up
    for 53 days now...:-)