Re: [PARPORT] Scanner question... (HP 3200C parport scanner)

From: stef (stef-listes@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 08:18:26 EDT

    On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 12:16:16PM +0200, Erik Inge Bols wrote:

    > I suspect that the ppscan.vxd is a catch-all driver for all HP parport
    > scanners. The ScanJet 5100C and 5200C uses a scsi-to-parport protocol
    > converter by Shuttle Tech., and is supported in linux. Umax scanners
    > supposedly do something else.

            Indeed, they're doing something else. As I'm aware that HP 5200C works with
    ppScsi, I tried every modules that can work with ppScsi with no success.
            Which lead me to the conclusion that the 3200 is a different beast.

            Then, I downloaded and used the UMAX 1220p windows driver included in their
     'Vistascan' package. It does contain the same VxD, an runs my HP3200C. In fact,
    I was given that clue on an HP Scanner support forum where someone asked for an NT
    driver and was told to use the one from UMAX.

            I even pull some screws to see what it looks inside. It has 1200P sticker
    inside it. And the IEEE 1284 autoprobe information reports an UMAX 1200 scanner.

            For some marketing reason HP neede such a scanner and bought it from UMAX.
    Which explains why HP won't give information on it.

            Finally I'm just curious about people who own scanners that come with a
    ppscan.vxd.

    Stef