[PARPORT] Re: ftape with Trakker.

From: Tony Laszlo (laszlo@gol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 11:46:33 EDT

    Thanks very much for your responses.

    conclusions first:
    Trakker still not working; and irq still not being
    found by parport.

    insmod parport
    insmod parport_pc

    results in
    cat /proc/parport/0/hardware with:
    base: 0x378
    irq: none
    dma: none
    modes: SPP

    echo 7 (or 5) > /proc/parport/0/irq
    does make the irq value change but does
    not result in Trakker finding the irq,
    apparently.

    * So, perhaps the important question is, should
    the irq value be automatically set with
    insmod parport
    insmod parport_pc ,
    and if so, what do I need to change in modules.conf?

    On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Jochen Hoenicke wrote:

    > It is probably in the default configuration of your modutils. Use
    > "/sbin/modprobe -c" to see the current configuration including the
    > defaults.

    now I understand.
    modprobe -c shows that we are dealing with /etc/modules.conf
    (Debian potato).

    > Add the following to your /etc/modules.conf:
    >
    > options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

    Yes, that has been there all along, on both machines.
    relevant lines are as follows:

    alias char-major-27 zftape
    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
    options ftape ft_fdc_driver=trakker,none,none,none

    > You should also try disconnecting the zip drive and connecting the
    > trakker as single device. The trakker doesn't know about standards to
    > chain multiple drives to the same port.
    >
    > > [006] 0 trakker.c (trakker_checksum) - checksum error (off by 9c).
    >
    > This can be caused by connecting trakker and zip with the same port.
    > I have never tested this, though

    Actually, I never connected them in a chain like that.
    I simply used rmmod, switched cables and insmod.

    On 1 Aug 2000, Adrian Phillips wrote:

    > Tony> * parport gets loaded automatically, together with
    > Tony> parport_probe. Not sure how that happens. This kernel uses
    > Tony> /etc/modules.conf and aks the user to delete conf.modules (I
    > Tony> did). But parport_probe is not mentioned in this
    > Tony> file. Earlier kernel on Debian used /etc/rc.d/rc.local, I
    > Tony> think, but this kernel doesn't have such a file
    >
    > This is presumably potato - you need to create a file, say local in
    > /etc/modutils, then rerun update-modules. Try man update-modules for
    > more info.

    Thanks for the advice. I am not used to this distribution yet.