Re: [PARPORT] HP ScanJet 3400C under Linux?

From: schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 10:08:50 EDT

    >From owner-linux-parport@gear.torque.net Wed Sep 6 13:56:18 2000

    >* On 06-09-00 at 09:48 Azarja Nieman (azarja@dds.nl) wrote:
    >+----Here quoted text begins----+
    >> >

    >> If there is any support, It will be most likely in the sane package available at:
    >>
    >> http://www.mostang.com/sane/
    >>
    >> I suggest you also have a look at the hardware support list there.
    >> Some people got their parallel HP working with SCSI drivers from this site.
    >>
    >> Azarja
    >+----and here the quote ends----+
    >Hi!

    >I allready checked sane's page... they have (untill now) no support for any HP
    >scanjet 3xxx series scanner :(

    >I have noticed, that there is USB support available in the USB kernel patches
    >for 3300C scanner, but the problem is, that there is no backend that would work
    >with it :((

    Cdrecord (and linscg) will support USB to the end of the week.
    The main problem is that there seem to be some problems with the USB devices and
    with the USB Linux kernel support.

    All USB kernel drives currently available did fall into a trap from bad Linux
    SCSI midlevel driver design which partially right shifts the SCSI status byte by
    one. For this reason, currently official Linux releases will only work if there
    are no SCSI commands that fail. As many SCSI commands fail, it depends on
    luck if a program will run correctly with USB.

    From the knowlege about CD writer I can tell, that many USB drives seem to be
    based on Philips ATAPI drives which have the worst firmware I've ever seen.
    For this reason I am currently adding many workarounds to make cdrecord work.

    The FreeCom USB CD writer uses a better drive but a nonstandard USB encapsulation
    to get higher speed and for this reason needs some hackin in the kernel to make it work.

    I hope that all will work in 2.4 final.

    A~
    Jörg

           js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1