Re: [PARPORT] LCD problem

From: Bart De Win (bart.dewin@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 09:00:14 EDT

    On Thu, 07 Sep 2000, Tim Waugh wrote:

    > > On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 02:10:54PM +0200, Bart De Win wrote:
    > > EPP/ECP. For the LCD display I simply have to put data on the data
    > > lines and then I have to set the Enable line on the LCD to high and
    > > later to low again (this acts as a strobe). This is all the
    > > functionality I'm using, so I think I don't need EPP/ECP.
    >
    > Enable line? nStrobe?
    Ik connected the Enable pin of the LCD to the nStrobe line of the parallel
    port.

    > 0xff back sounds like you don't _have_ an ECR (at least, not in that
    > mode). Also, you probably want PS2 mode (top bits 001) rather than
    > SPP mode (top bits 000): it's the same, but the direction bit (0x20)
    > of CTR works in PS2 mode.
    Not really, since I don't use the direction bit. I only use the nStrobe and
    the nSelectIn (and of course the Data lines). The rest is not connected.

    > > anything. So I don't know if for example the ECR is always located at
    > > Base_Address + 0x402.
    >
    > It usually is; the exception is PCI cards.
    It is an onboard port. But again I don't know what chip is used. It does
    contain the i810 chipset from Intel, but looking at the specs seems to tell
    me that this chipset doesn't include IO ports. Maybe I'm wrong here.

    > > And maybe another question : since I write directly to the address of the
    > > parallel port, do I actually need the parport_pc driver to be loaded ? If
    > > so, why ?
    >
    > No, you don't.
    Maybe I should try it without loading the driver and see how it works out ...

    Thx,
    Bart.