[PARPORT] Re: 4008a pci parallel port controller

From: Jason Cumiskey (jtc@uvic.ca)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 00:25:18 EDT

    My sincere apologies for my last message, I accidentally sent it prematurely
    without all the information I wanted to provide.

    Here is what I have done so far:

    A listing of /proc/pci reports my pci card as:

    Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
    Parallel controller: Timedia Technology Noname 4008A (rev 1).
    Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9.
    I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
    I/O at 0xb800 [0xb801].

    For now, I have done an insmod parport.o
    then an insmod parport_pc.o io=0x378,0xb800 irq=7,none
    then an insmod lp.o (seem to need to do this)
    then an insmod parport_probe.o

    Here is what dmesg reports:

    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
    0xb800: CTR: wrote 0x0c, read 0x0d
    0xb800: DATA: wrote 0xaa, read 0x00
    parport1: PC-style at 0xb800 [SPP,PS2]
    lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
    lp1: using parport1 (polling).
    parport_probe: failed
    parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    parport_probe: failed
    parport1: no IEEE-1284 device present.

    I have an Epson Stylus Color 440 Printer which according to linuxprinting.org
    should show up under autoprobe. It isn't showing up. I have also done a
    simple echo "test" > /dev/lp1 at which the console just hangs and my printer
    shows no sign of life. I have also tried adding my printer and doing a simple
    lpr command with a text file with no results. I have also tried doing the
    parport_pc with the 0xd000 base io but that just crashes Linux.

    I have a scanner attached to my onboard parallel port because in Visioneer's
    infinite wisdom, they must have hardcoded their twain driver to use the onboard
    parallel port in windows (I have tried changing ports and I know both ports
    work under windows). Thus, I have my printer connected to the pci parallel
    port which works fine under windows.

    I have been following directions provided by sunix on their webpage.

    As you are suggesting to wait for a later kernel, I am guessing that this may
    be a common problem with these cards??

    Thank you so much for your time and effort to help me on this.

    Jason Cumiskey