Re: [PARPORT]Mandrake 7.1 and Backpack CD-RW

From: Joshua Franklin (joshuadfranklin@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 17:52:49 EDT

    If you just want to use it for read, you can
    get the ``offical'' drivers from micro-solutions at
    http://www.micro-solutions.com/software_library/linux/
    The README from their tar.gz lists these steps for
    2.2.x+ kernals:
    cp backpack.o /lib/modules/<kernal>/misc/backpack.o
    insmod parport
    insmod paride
    insmod backpack
    depmod -a
    modprobe pcd
    mkdir /mnt/pcd
    mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/pcd
    All these steps may or may not be necessary for your
    kernal version, and of course you can call your mount
    whatever you want. It works for me...now if they'd
    just release the source so we could get install
    boot disks. My solution was to sent ``Linux--Source
    for drivers to make boot disk--Please!!'' to their
    comment form at
    http://www.micro-solutions.com/webmaster/index.html

    Joshua Daniel Franklin