[PARPORT] problem with external cdr

From: Dumas Patrice (dumas@centre-cired.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:53:58 EDT

    Hi,
    I have allready posted some messages, then I stopped, as I had no time
    for that.
    So, here is my problem again :

    I run GNU/linux, kernel 2.2.14, the distribution is Mandrake 7.0, on an
    Abit bx6, with a celeron 400 (i686 I think).
    I was trying to install an ide CD writer (Philips CDRW400 Series) on the

    paralel port. The CD writer is in an external box with no mark.
    And there is a paralel cable linking the computer and the external box.

    It runs (not so badly, but without a really good quality) under windows.

    Well, I can insmod parport,paride,on26,pg. With cdrecord -scanbus it is
    good. Then I try to use cdrecord to burn a .wav file with -dummy and it
    returns an error, and a lot of stuff with the -vv and -VV flags. I can
    give you the dmesg, but I also have tried to mount the cdrom, with pcd
    instead of pg, and there is a problem.
    I could be misunderstanding something, but I think a CD recorder should
    be able to be mounted with pcd. Am I wrong ?

    Here is the dmesg after insmoding all the stuff :

    paride: version 1.04 installed
    paride: on26 registered as protocol 0
    pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
    parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP]
    parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    pcd0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
    pcd0: on26 1.04, OnSpec 90c26 at 0x378, mode 0 (4-bit), delay 1
    pcd0: Master: PCRW404

    Here is the dmesg output after the command :
    #mount /dev/pcd0 /mnt/cdrom
    pcd0: WARNING: ATAPI phase errors
    pcd0: Stuck DRQ
    pcd0: lock door before command: alt=0x58 stat=0x58 err=0x100 loop=160001
    phase=2
    pcd0: Request sense before command: alt=0x58 stat=0x58 err=0x100
    loop=160001 phase=2
    VFS: Disk change detected on device pcd(46,0)
    pcd0: read block before command: alt=0x58 stat=0x58 err=0x100
    loop=160001 phase=2
    end_request: I/O error, dev 2e:00 (PCD), sector 2
    pcd0: unlock door before command: alt=0x58 stat=0x58 err=0x100
    loop=160001 phase=2
    pcd0: Request sense before command: alt=0x58 stat=0x58 err=0x100
    loop=160001 phase=2

    If it can help, on the console, the ligne
    VFS: Disk change detected on device pcd(46,0)
    does not appear.

    Pat