Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Eythan Weg (weg@gauss.wintek.com)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 08:53:23 EST

    Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk> writes:

    > On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:08:35PM -0500, weg@gauss.wintek.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have encountered some difficulties in
    > > printing with recent kernels. This is after a
    > > long successful experience with 2.2.16.
    >
    > Not a lot really changed between 2.2.16 and 2.2.18pre21,
    > parport-wise.
    >
    > > Writing to the /dev/lp0 results in nothing.
    >
    > Does this mean 'the write returns, but nothing happens', or 'the write
    > fails', or 'the write hangs'?

    By writing I meant redirecting some text through
    the shell. It comes back with no sign of
    failure. I tried also this little perl:

    ----------------
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

    ($i=open(P, "+</dev/lp0")) ||die "Cannot open $!";

    print "Open returns: $i\n";

    $i=(print P "Hello!\n");
    print STDOUT "Printing returns $i\n";
    close P;
    ----------------

    with this result:
    Open returns: 1
    Printing returns 1

    Resetting /dev/lp0 with tunelp moves the printer!

    > Is the printer plugged in _directly_ to the port? I don't think Epson
    > Stylus printers work very well if there's another device in the way
    > (no idea why).
    >
    > Tim.
    > */

    The Epson is the only device I have.

    Except for the kernel and its modules what else
    could potentially be involved with this failure?

    Thank you.

    eythan