Re: [PARPORT] printing with 2.2.18pre21 kernel

From: Gene Heskett (gene_heskett@iolinc.net)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 10:22:01 EST

    Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Eythan Weg;

    >Tim Waugh <tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk> writes:

    >> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 07:08:35PM -0500, weg@gauss.wintek.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have encountered some difficulties in
    >> > printing with recent kernels. This is after a
    >> > long successful experience with 2.2.16.
    >>
    >> Not a lot really changed between 2.2.16 and 2.2.18pre21,
    >> parport-wise.
    >>
    >> > Writing to the /dev/lp0 results in nothing.
    >>
    >> Does this mean 'the write returns, but nothing happens', or 'the write
    >> fails', or 'the write hangs'?

    >By writing I meant redirecting some text through
    >the shell. It comes back with no sign of
    >failure. I tried also this little perl:

    >----------------
    >#!/usr/bin/perl -w

    >($i=open(P, "+</dev/lp0")) ||die "Cannot open $!";

    >print "Open returns: $i\n";

    >$i=(print P "Hello!\n");
    >print STDOUT "Printing returns $i\n";
    >close P;
    >----------------

    >with this result:
    >Open returns: 1
    >Printing returns 1

    >Resetting /dev/lp0 with tunelp moves the printer!

    >> Is the printer plugged in _directly_ to the port? I don't think Epson
    >> Stylus printers work very well if there's another device in the way
    >> (no idea why).
    >>
    >> Tim.
    >> */

    >The Epson is the only device I have.

    >Except for the kernel and its modules what else
    >could potentially be involved with this failure?

    Permissions maybe?? If its permissins related, then it gets
    auto-deleted from the cue in about 2 seconds, so unless you are quick,
    lpq will return nothing, giving you the false impression the job went
    into the bit bucket. lpr's error messages need some serious help.

    But it *was* a _huge problem_ here, and I mean that in the past tense.
    I've installed LPRng, and lprngtool, in place of lpr and printtool, and
    haven't had a problem since. That was about 2 weeks, and 3 kernel
    versions ago (up to 2.2.18pre22 now) and its still working flawlessly.

    Cheers, Gene

    --
      Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
    	email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net